• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Pressure Washer Recommendations

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
I am looking to get a pressure washer and a foam cannon set up for washing my cars, but the internet seems to give me a lot of conflicting results on what is best as far as GPM and PSI. So, no better place to come ask than the M7G fam, i would like to stay under $200 usd for a good pressure washer and foam cannon setup, what would be the best bang for the buck? TIA!
Sponsored

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
If you want to up your game with detailing, I'd suggest reading the topics in the Cosmetic Upkeep subforum on 6G.

Loads of information there about chemicals, detailing equipment, and methods.
I'd especially bookmark this topic: DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING - UPDATED MARCH 2024

This is something I've recently gotten into.
My own Mustang isn't due to arrive for some months, but I'm getting familiar with all of this next-level detailing stuff on my current daily.

The MTM PF22.2 foam cannon is a popular high-end cannon, but make sure you get the latest model with the wide opening. The Griot's Garage BF302 foam cannon (USD$100) is regarded as one of the best. I got a BF302 myself recently whilst visiting the US (Griot's don't ship outside of the US). I love it! The stainless steel internals, and made in the US, not China.

Unless you go cheap 'n nasty, you'll probably need more than $200 for a cannon and pressure washer for something that is decent and will last. Buying cheap can be a false economy.

Once you have the tools, then the real long-term expense comes, wash media and the consumables!

OP
OP
Carter1776

Carter1776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Atlas Blue
If you want to up your game with detailing, I'd suggest reading the topics in the Cosmetic Upkeep subforum on 6G.

Loads of information there about chemicals, detailing equipment, and methods.
I'd especially bookmark this topic: DFB'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK OF DETAILING - UPDATED MARCH 2024

This is something I've recently gotten into.
My own Mustang isn't due to arrive for some months, but I'm getting familiar with all of this next-level detailing stuff on my current daily.

The MTM PF22.2 foam cannon is a popular high-end cannon, but make sure you get the latest model with the wide opening. The Griot's Garage BF302 foam cannon (USD$100) is regarded as one of the best. I got a BF302 myself recently whilst visiting the US (Griot's don't ship outside of the US). I love it! The stainless steel internals, and made in the US, not China.

Unless you go cheap 'n nasty, you'll probably need more than $200 for a cannon and pressure washer for something that is decent and will last. Buying cheap can be a false economy.

Once you have the tools, then the real long-term expense comes, wash media and the consumables!
i have the means to spend well over 200 usd if needed, was just trying to see what was available in that range and if it was realistic to get a decent setup within 200. But, depending on how the suggestions come in on this thread, i will open the budget as needed. I will give that cannon a look as well, thank you!

5.0ALM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV4 Cruiser, S650 allocated, waiting...
Forgot to mention, you will need a decent trigger gun with Quick Connects, which will of course adds to the expense.

Also appreciate, hoses that come with the average domestic pressure washer are pretty ordinary. Not long enough to circle the car, and aren't that flexible. Read as: a bastard to work with!

Only yesterday, I rigged up my Gerni and new 50' Uberflex hose and fitted a QC to the MTM SGS 28 gun.

Documented here:
https://www.mustang7g.com/forums/threads/whats-in-alms-garage.161630/#post-3285649

Hunt around, as many detailing supplies companies offer bundles, ie; a trigger gun, lance and foam cannon package for less than buying the separate items.

Three detailing Youtubers I watch (there's a ton more, but some are just unwatchable) that do product reviews and comparisons are;

https://www.youtube.com/@PanTheOrganizer

https://www.youtube.com/@imjoshv

https://www.youtube.com/@CarsWithKeav

This recent video by Josh might get your research started:

It's a deep wabbit hole.

JoFranko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Like 5.0 ALM said, it’s a rabbit hole. In my experience, you’ll need to upgrade the wand and hose first thing. The ones that come with the pressure washer are terrible. This would be an idea for a cheaper set up but still have some quality to start with:

Pressure washer gun SG28-$35

Pressure washer Ryobi 1.2 GPM-$99

Pressure washer hose- Uber Flex 50ft hose- $49

Foam cannon-MTM Hydro PF22.2 or MJJC S V3.0 $85-$89

I use the Active 2.0 and McKillans swivel gun pro which are pricier but definitely worth it to me.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Tbh, anything that can carve my name in concrete shouldn’t be used on my car.

gpm = how much
Psi = how forceful

A very basic example for gpm is a lawn hose. The hose will flow x gallons of water per minute (how much paint to you need to put on that wall how quickly). Slide your thumb over the opening and you create psi. Same flow more pressure. Thumb pressure from a lawn hose is about as forceful as i’m will to turn the level up to on the ole elbow grease modulator, when washing ours.

ZBOBMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Convertible
I purchase a craftsman 2100 for a little over $200 a month ago. It works great for me. I would also recommend a longer hose.

Northern Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Vapour Blue DH, 23 Raptor, 22 Explorer ST
I would say that you have to budget at least $300 for the equipment. Then another $300 for quality soaps, sealant, bucket, wash mitts...

Go to Chemical guys website, that place is like a candy store

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Pressure washer Ryobi 1.2 GPM-$99
WAY too low GPM. For auto detailing, GPM is what's MOST important, and 1.2 isn't going to cut it.

Cheap pressure washers are all the same: Garbage with low GPM.

Top end stuff such as Kranzle is way too expensive if you're on a budget.

Right now, the best bang for the buck for a vehicle pressure washer is the Active 2.0. A lower 1800 psi but 2.0 GPM. But forget the hose and wand that come with it - it's garbage.

The Active 2.3 was recently released, but it's twice the price. If you're only interested in YOUR vehicles, I'd stick with the 2.0 and use the cash to buy upgraded gun, hose, lance, tips, and connectors. I'd only go 2.3 or (or a better washer) if I was running a detailing business.

Here is my current setup, purchased just in the last couple months after endless research. I, too, didn't want to spend a fortune, but wanted a quality setup. Yes, I have $800-900 into it, but that' a lot better than $1,500 to $3,000 for other gear.
  • Active 2.0 pressure washer
  • MTM PF22.2 wide mouth foam canon
  • MTM SGS28 short gun (SGS35 is NOT worth the extra ~$30 *and* it's a better gun!) Oh, and you want the SGS, not the SG -- the extra S is for swivel.
  • 50' grey non-marking Kobrajet hose
  • 20" bent stainless lance
  • M Mingle Pressure washer hose reel 100ft
I got my Active 2.0 from Clean-Garage.com when it was on sale. They also have package deals that include a bunch of the stuff above, plus other stuff.

Active 2.0 Pressure Washers and Detailing Kits | The Clean Garage (clean-garage.com)

All my MTM stuff I ordered from mtmhydroparts.com - they have a 20% off sale right now, but some of the things are sold out.

Hose reel came from Amazon. I'll probably replace it down the road with a Coxreels hose reel.

For you: I would get the Active 2.0 and this kit: MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon Pro Kit 1 | Hose Gun Wand Fittings (clean-garage.com) Get a nozzle for washing cars (like the MTM Acqualine Nozzle | Size 4.0 - 40°). You can get all that from clean-garage.com. You can add the hose reel from Amazon if you want.

You'll want a couple of 5 gallon buckets (new) with grit traps, as well as some good microfiber wash mitts and microfiber towels. I can provide links to what I ordered if you want.

Finally, not just any soap will do. I can give you recommendations for that, too.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say that you have to budget at least $300 for the equipment. Then another $300 for quality soaps, sealant, bucket, wash mitts...
$300 won't even buy you a quality middle of the road pressure washer alone that has the proper PSI and GPM for vehicles. You don't want some gas powered outdoor pressure washer. $300 would barely buy you a quality middle of the road short gun, foam cannon, wand, hose, and fittings. Another $100 or so for microfiber wash mitts, buckets, grit traps, or microfiber towels, then another hundy for soaps and such.

Unless you're willing to buy junk, a quality middle of the road setup will run about $1K in total.

Northern Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Vapour Blue DH, 23 Raptor, 22 Explorer ST
$300 won't even buy you a quality middle of the road pressure washer alone that has the proper PSI and GPM for vehicles. You don't want some gas powered outdoor pressure washer. $300 would barely buy you a quality middle of the road short gun, foam cannon, wand, hose, and fittings. Another $100 or so for microfiber wash mitts, buckets, grit traps, or microfiber towels, then another hundy for soaps and such.

Unless you're willing to buy junk, a quality middle of the road setup will run about $1K in total.
Roadpilot, I was trying to take a more gentle approach to my response. LOL, but you are 100% accurate.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roadpilot, I was trying to take a more gentle approach to my response. LOL, but you are 100% accurate.
:cwl: :cwl:

I'm a "just put it right there on the table" kinda guy.

JoFranko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
1.2 GPM is not too low for auto detailing. Is the Active 2.0 better? No doubt about it but the Ryobi will get the job done and not break the bank. Mine lasted for years.

The OP wanted to stay low cost, those were some of my suggestions that are relatively budget friendly. A swivel gun is nice but not necessary with the Uberflex hose. I could be recommending Kranzle, KobraJet, and a OG Mosmatic Spec gun but that’s not what this post is about.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.2 GPM is not too low for auto detailing. Is the Active 2.0 better? No doubt about it but the Ryobi will get the job done and not break the bank. Mine lasted for years.

The OP wanted to stay low cost, those were some of my suggestions that are relatively budget friendly. A swivel gun is nice but not necessary with the Uberflex hose. I could be recommending Kranzle, KobraJet, and a OG Mosmatic Spec gun but that’s not what this post is about.
Yes, 1.2 GPM is too low - unless you're washing a POS and you don't care what happens to the surfaces of your vehicles.

I respectfully suggest you do some more research. I did extensive research, which is how I learned.

Staying low cost is a nice target. While you don't need to go to a 4 or 5 star restaurant in order to get a good meal, you're not going to get one by dumpster diving, either.
Sponsored