• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Dark Horse vs Shelby

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
The stickiest, fastest wearing out tires of any street car.
Irrelevant. All cars are tested with what they come with.

topdawg4ever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Dark Horse Mustang, 2024 Ram 2500 CTD Mega Cab
Look, I had the current Holy Grail of GT500, the Heritage CFTP. Paid $10k over sticker. It was a 760HP monster. Most beautful car I ever owned. Simply stunning.
The Recaro's were the most uncomfortable seats , and no way was I using that horsepower cruising, and going to car shows. Sure, I could gap just about anyone who wanted to try me, but having $120k wrapped up into my weekend fun car, wasn't for me. I did nothing but worry about it, and was afraid something was going to happen to it. So, I sold it via Private Party, and 6 months later bought my 6sp Dark Horse for $65k. My Dark Horse is the funnest car I have ever owned. Not the biggest horse power car, or ledendary named "Shelby", but I love the Tremec, and love shifting gears and it's just been something I can have a blast in, and not treat it like a garage queen.
Bottom line, being happy and having fun is what it's about.

Last edited:

JaxBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT/CS, 2023 Mazda Miata club, 2024 BMW M60I
Look, I had the current Holy Grail of GT500, the Heritage CFTP. Paid $10k over sticker. It was a 760HP monster. Most beautful car I ever owned. Simply stunning.
The Recaro's were the most uncomfortable seats , and no way was I using that horsepower cruising, and going to car shows. Sure, I could gap just about anyone who wanted to try me, but having $120k wrapped up into my weekend fun car, wasn't for me. I did nothing but worry about it, and was afraid something was going to happen to it. So, I sold it via Private Party, and 6 months later bought my 6sp Dark Horse for $65k. My Dark Horse is the funnest car I have ever owned. Not the biggest horse power car, or ledendary named "Shelby", but I love the Tremec, and love shifting gears and it's just been something I can have a blast in, and not treat it like a garage queen.
I agree, after having a lot of various brand high performance cars over the last 40 years, I now prefer to purchase my sport cars based on how much fun they are to drive on the street, not how fast they can get to go to jail speed! I even have a Miata to keep company with my 24 GT/CS

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1; AT; M0960
I have been part of these discussions when they were Mach 1 vs. GT350. We have a lot of passions for these cars, but I have always thought the Shelby worship was a bit over the top. My discussion with the Mustang Brand Manager at the Barber 60th pretty much led me to believe Ford will not license the Shelby name again in S650 if at all. Ford is pushing Ford Performance and Dark Horse. The interesting thing though is if you go to the Ford Performance site, the normal Dark Horse is not a car that shows up as a Ford Performance vehicle. the R does as well as the GT3/4/D. The Mach 1 and GT500 did too until this week when I guess they did an update. However if you look on the lower right of the site, you still see Mach 1 and GT500 in the list...the links are dead though. Normal Dark Horse was never included...it also didn't get the "has Shelby parts" marketing because Ford is not pushing Shelby in S650. I would think that Ford Performance would have included the normal Dark Horse as it is the basis for the higher variants and also the tie in for "win on Sunday...drive on Monday" sales pitch to the everyday consumer.

ssmith891

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
While I respect you doing what makes you happy, I can’t wrap my head around this.

Adding one? Sure. Replacing with one? No chance.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
So the last 3 GT350 vs GT500 videos that came out… everyone said the same thing… that while the GT500 is faster… the 350 is more fun… speed doesn’t always equal fun or we would all be driving EVs

S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Shelby IMG_2699

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I could end up dead wrong, but something that I really feel is that if you take a GT350, Mach 1, and a Dark Horse all from the last few years and park them in a garage and leave them there for 10 years....which will be more valuable in 2034?

I'm guessing the DH cars and the GT Premium cars will have VERY similar resale value later down the road. But, the special cars like the Shelbys and even the Mach will hold value because they are perceived very differently by the masses who are interested in this market.

My car will wipe the floor with a stock 2003 Cobra....but the Cobra will always be more valuable and special than my run-of-the-mill cookie cutter GT.

Now, that may not mean anything to a lot of guys. Some will say who cares about value and how special a car is, I just want to have fun driving it (see post #108 for example) and I totally get that. It just depends on what you're looking for. Everybody is different. But me personally, if I'm dropping $60k+ on a Mustang it better be a special Mustang that's going to remain special in the future.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Raptor R, '21 Bronco First Edition, '23 GT3
Yes, even though the FPC in the GT350 has been more delicate in its reliability, it will most likely have a higher value in that time frame.

GripTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Horse, 2006 Mustang GT
I could end up dead wrong, but something that I really feel is that if you take a GT350, Mach 1, and a Dark Horse all from the last few years and park them in a garage and leave them there for 10 years....which will be more valuable in 2034?

I'm guessing the DH cars and the GT Premium cars will have VERY similar resale value later down the road. But, the special cars like the Shelbys and even the Mach will hold value because they are perceived very differently by the masses who are interested in this market.

My car will wipe the floor with a stock 2003 Cobra....but the Cobra will always be more valuable and special than my run-of-the-mill cookie cutter GT.

Now, that may not mean anything to a lot of guys. Some will say who cares about value and how special a car is, I just want to have fun driving it (see post #108 for example) and I totally get that. It just depends on what you're looking for. Everybody is different. But me personally, if I'm dropping $60k+ on a Mustang it better be a special Mustang that's going to remain special in the future.
Nice post. I love the Dark Horse. One of the best things to me about these forums is learning how other people appreciate and value cars.

Klipshpoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse HP

The garage parked Shelby will hold the most value. But I can tell you after parking my car next to gorgeous green Mach 1 here recently at a mustang event, actual Ford guys in real life love both cars. Neither are perceived as a GT with leather seats.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
The garage parked Shelby will hold the most value. But I can tell you after parking my car next to gorgeous green Mach 1 here recently at a mustang event, actual Ford guys in real life love both cars. Neither are perceived as a GT with leather seats.

Ive never met a Mustang I dont like.....true Mustang enthusiasts will appreciate every Mustang for its uniqueness ....

Even if its not my thing....you have to always appreciate the care and attention someone puts into their car....

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram
So in 2019 I finally got a testdrive and price was msrp…Driving it was the biggest disappointment ever and only things I liked was the Tremec and the Brembos ! The engine had no torque and really not more power than the Coyote I drove afterwards , vibrated badly and had nothing of that good V8 sound I love.
My wife video-ed while I test drove a 2016 GT350 and my comments were pretty much this. ^ I watch it still occasionally and hear things like "this is slow" and "can't believe I'm saying this but I'm disappointed". I've come to the conclusion that a lot of guys can be slotted into one of two camps:

A) Like to drive lugging around at 3K RPM: Bought a Mach or a DH.

B) Like to drive at 6K RPM even to the grocery store: Bought a GT350. (Bonus points for folks for whom the Shelby name is meaningful.)

I love me some Terminator....that was the one Mustang I missed...I always wanted to build one and it just never happened....love the color....
Next to the Mach, my favorite Mustang... at the time I couldn't believe anyone could want more than 390HP. Didn't take long before looking into porting the blower :cwl:

S650 Mustang Dark Horse vs Shelby 03cobra with old wheels
Sponsored

Last edited: