• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Hardwire radar/dash cam help

branflake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium Convertible
Hey stang fam, I bought the hardwire kit for my Cobra Road Scout dashcam/radar and ran the wire from the unit under the mirror and around to the passenger footwell fuse box. Got it opened only to discover none of the usual fuse taps or add a fuse i've used in the past will work on the H style Case M fuses (had to look this up). Can anyone help me out with either a tap that will work or another solution? Are the empty slots in the fuse box actually powered? I've read the manual and know which I'd tap if i needed to share, but if there's an empty slot with power, I'd prefer that. It'll auto off after a few hours anyway.

Also, there is a nice bolt and bundle of negatives right under the glove box hinge if anyone else is attempting this. you gotta really crawl in there to see it, but its straight up, about 1/3 toward the right side of the door.

Thanks!
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
OP
OP
branflake

branflake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
branflake

branflake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the post! A couple of questions: is your car a coupe? My overhead mirror housing looks a bit different on the convertible, but it could be angles and such.

Second, do you know how much power tapping that line will safely draw? The road scout being combination dash cam and radar seems to draw more power than either would if separate.

I tried a USB 5V>12V converter and using the USB on the mirror but it wasnt enough to power the Scout.

Additionally, the hardwire kit (also using a knock off mirror stalk mount...that suction cup magnet thing is terrible) has a lead for a mute button i had hoped to put down beside the seat so i dont have to reach up to mute, hence wanting to run it from that fuse box.

If nobody makes a fuse tap for these cartrdige fuses i may be out of luck and forced to use the cig lighter forever or attempt a mount like you did and forgo the extra button.

Thanks for your input!

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
HOW TO: Radar Detector Hard Wire Install with BlendMount | Mustang7G - 2024+ S650 Mustang Forum (Dark Horse, GT, EcoBoost, GT500, GT350, Mach 1)

Hello, I'm the one who wrote this thread. If you're using a combo dash + radar I would not recommend using the mirror tap. I am fairly certain it would work but if that wire gets too hot from the current and lights on fire there's no way you're stopping it.

Personally though, I would ditch that Cobra road scout and use a radar good at detecting and a camera good at recording instead of something that is mediocre at both. Should solve your wiring problems too (radar goes to mirror tap, dashcam goes to USB port on mirror)

sicksix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2022 Ford Explorer ST-Line
Can you confirm those blade fuse types actually fit? I have a whole "multi pack" of taps like that, and when i pulled a fuse out (either size) neither had blades like that. its a cartrdige.
Yes, that link I posted is the exact one I purchased when I hard-wired my radar detector.

OP
OP
branflake

branflake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@sicksix
Can you tell me which product on that amazon page you used? Micro2? They just look too wide for either of these slots (power windows, left and right). Not disbeleiving you, just only want to order once!

S650 Mustang Hardwire radar/dash cam help Fuses.PNG

Edit** I also have the rear window fuses available as well, but they are lower amperage. Should still be plenty, I'd think.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the post! A couple of questions: is your car a coupe? My overhead mirror housing looks a bit different on the convertible, but it could be angles and such.
Yes, I have a coupe.

Second, do you know how much power tapping that line will safely draw? The road scout being combination dash cam and radar seems to draw more power than either would if separate.
Negative, Ghostrider. How much does that Road Scout pull? I couldn't find the specs online.

If nobody makes a fuse tap for these cartrdige fuses i may be out of luck and forced to use the cig lighter forever or attempt a mount like you did and forgo the extra button.
Pic of cartridge fuse?

You might find this useful later:

S650 2024 Mustang Fuse Panel Diagram - LMR.com

sicksix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2022 Ford Explorer ST-Line
@sicksix
Can you tell me which product on that amazon page you used? Micro2? They just look too wide for either of these slots (power windows, left and right). Not disbeleiving you, just only want to order once!

Fuses.PNG

Edit** I also have the rear window fuses available as well, but they are lower amperage. Should still be plenty, I'd think.
That kit from Amazon comes with 6 fuses that are all the same dimensions, and will fit where the power windows fuse is (top left red 10 in your picture, IIRC). If you want to double-check, pull that fuse and measure it. The second picture on the Amazon page has the fuse dimensions.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you tell me which product on that amazon page you used? Micro2?
Yes, those are the Micro2 fuses. Haven't dug into my Mustang, but my '21 F150 uses them.

These is what I ordered when I tapped the fuse in my F150 for the dashcam (pick Micro2):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZV4LY54

Use that link to the fuse boxes diagrams in my last post -- you'll see what EVERY fuse is used for and/or is available in your vehicle.

OP
OP
branflake

branflake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you all. the LMR site is were i found the pic i pasted in. Those two arrows were marked as the door windows.

I appreciate the feedback, and I will look into a 2 separate solutions once the cobra kicks it, but its been pretty solid so far. But, i got the car first of october and just turned over 1k last weekend, so...ya know.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But, i got the car first of october and just turned over 1k last weekend, so...ya know.
You're supposed to DRIVE the car, not look at it. I just turned over 2K ... got it in May. Not my DD at all.

OP
OP
branflake

branflake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're supposed to DRIVE the car, not look at it. I just turned over 2K ... got it in May. Not my DD at all.
Most of the miles seem to be backing it out of the garage to do garage things so its stays clean, then putting it back and then noticing it got dirty while out so backing it out to clean it to put it back in....etc.
Sponsored