• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

How to get grease off paint?

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 GT Convertible 401A, AVE, Brembos
I took my convertible in to replace the right-rear trim piece that wraps around the seat belt. It was bowed outward and catching on the roof fabric when it was going from down to up. That seems to be ok now, but the tech got what I think is grease on the paint on the top part of the left rear quarter panel. I saw him out there rubbing the car with a rag to try to get it off. I looked at it when I picked the car up and it looked fine. However, now I can see the area and it's still there. In certain light you can barely see it. In directy reflective light it's pretty obvious. I assume it's grease because I don't know what else it could be. Any tips on how to get this stuff off without damaging the paint? I'll try to grab a photo later but the spot is maybe 2" x 2"

Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Similar thing happened to me. After a few washes with just plain water (so soap) it is gone.
Interesting. I washed it pretty good last time since I noticed it. I'll pay special attention to it this week. I'm planning to hand wash it today or tomorrow..

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Elbow grease + a dab of wax / time.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
There are automotive degreasers out there, similar to a Goo-Gone product but formulated to be safe on automotive paint. I forget the brand that I have at home but it works great.
Use a product like that to get the grease off then wash the spot. It will come out.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I took my convertible in to replace the right-rear trim piece that wraps around the seat belt. It was bowed outward and catching on the roof fabric when it was going from down to up. That seems to be ok now, but the tech got what I think is grease on the paint on the top part of the left rear quarter panel. I saw him out there rubbing the car with a rag to try to get it off. I looked at it when I picked the car up and it looked fine. However, now I can see the area and it's still there. In certain light you can barely see it. In directy reflective light it's pretty obvious. I assume it's grease because I don't know what else it could be. Any tips on how to get this stuff off without damaging the paint? I'll try to grab a photo later but the spot is maybe 2" x 2"

Thanks!
I actually had to deal with grease deposits on my daily driver this week, and not just greasy fingerprints, but globs of it on the doors. (No idea where it came from, must have been dropped on the road)

In this case, I used a tar remover, applied directly onto the affected areas, then hosed it off with the pressure washer. For the spots that remained, I applied the tar remover again, then lightly wiped with a towel. Rinse thoroughly afterwards and you will be good to go. I would do this prior to washing as a normal pH neutral soap won't have enough bite to deal with this, you also don't want grease through your good wash mitt or towels.

I used Koch Chemie TEA, but Carpro TarX would work just the same, both are safe to use compared to some other solvents. You could also use Stoners Tarminator, but that stuff is pretty strong so work small areas and rinse thoroughly afterwards. In any case, having a product like this on hand can be a lifesaver.

Teerwäsche A - Tea – The Rag Company
CARPRO TarX 500ml (17oz) (carpro-us.com)
Stoner Tarminator 10oz – Stoner Car Care

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dawn Dish detergent (or similar) is all you need.
I think I'll try this first before progressing to the harsher stuff.

Stupid question here, but just mix up some dawn and warm water? Wash spot, rinse off, repeat?

I assume I then need to put some wax on the area?

Last edited:

Wiley Marmot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Prem

Stupid question here, but just mix up some dawn and warm water? Wash spot, rinse off, repeat?

Yes. Good luck!

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Dawn won't completely strip traditional waxes and sealants with a single application, so in theory, you may not need reapply your wax, but it wouldn't hurt if you did.

In actual fact, Dawn (or any dish washing liquid) is designed to leave a film on the surface that can often disguise a wax or sealant, which can be quite deceptive.......................and counter intuitive. So, while it may produce flat water behavior afterwards, its often the film that is doing that, not completely bare paint.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well step 1 in my process produced zero results. I washed the car and really scrubbed the spot with soapy water repeatedly in the hopes if would gradually get clean. Didn't come off at all. I guess I will try the Dawn approach next. Some photos.

You can see how it stands out in certain angles, but is hardly visible at all in others. In the shade you really can't see it. But now that I know it's there it's going to drive me crazy until I get it off. Ughhh.

I swear I hesitate to take this car to the dealer for any reason due to this sort of thing. Keep in mind, the repair was to the trim piece on the OTHER side of the car.

S650 Mustang How to get grease off paint? 1000014154

S650 Mustang How to get grease off paint? 1000014155

S650 Mustang How to get grease off paint? 1000014156

OP
OP
samson

samson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T-Cut may be required. Suncream can leave a horrible dull patch like that and that can be seriously difficult to shift.
Definitely feels like something that's going to be a PITA to get off. My son, who details cars on the side, said a two step polish will get it off.

Another incredibly stupid question. Do I take it in and tell the dealer to make it right or am I just asking for more problems by doing that?

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Definitely feels like something that's going to be a PITA to get off. My son, who details cars on the side, said a two step polish will get it off.

Another incredibly stupid question. Do I take it in and tell the dealer to make it right or am I just asking for more problems by doing that?
Mr. Can you please fix your grease spot. Why sure, let me grab a glob …. Umm would you really wanna, i’d be tempted to hit up the kid.
Sponsored