• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Looking to buy a GT in 2025; hoping for advice

HeyMoe!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M340i
New member here--Hello to all!

Long story short--When I retired in 2009, I bought a BMW 1-series. It was fun to drive, not super fast, but quick enough, and had a stick (I ordered it).

Fifteen years later, I still own a BMW--It's an M340i. It's a nice car, entertaining to drive in the right scenarios.

But, it doesn't have a stick. BMW is phasing them out, to my dismay.

The M340 is a nice car, but without a stick, it just doesn't seem to have "soul."

It goes out of warranty in 2025. I have always traded in at that point. I don't want to fix it out of warranty, particularly since my dealer is 2-1/2 hours away, and there are no local independent shops around here.

I've always admired the Mustang GT (have owned a number of Ford products), and a recent visit to Shelby Museum in Vegas further piqued my interest in getting a Mustang GT with a stick.

I am friends with a salesperson at a Ford store an hour from me. I stopped there last week, since they had a GT with a stick on the lot. It was parked in an awkward spot, so I didn't drive it. I did sit in it, and fire it up. It was "wake the neighbors" loud : )

So, I am thinking of ordering a GT in early 2005. As I mentioned, the fact that my M340 is an automatic takes some "soul" out of the driving experience. Even my "wintertime" Honda Civic is a stick (thanks to the dealer who got my order done).

At my point in life (71 YO), I am thinking that I may want to have one last "rowdy" car before I can't; something to remind me of the "fun days" when I owned a Trans Am.

I thank you in advance for your comments, positive or negative!

Cheers,
Hey Moe!
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Sounds like you're looking for the visceral experience only a manual can give you. I likely would have gone that route if I could still drive a manual (car/pedestruan assault left me with a full prosthetic left leg), but I have much fun with my 10R80 Dark Horse and the paddle shifters.

If you order, be prepared to wait. If you find something on the lot, we'll, that's a bonus as long as it has what you want.

Best of luck no matter what!

P.S. - Go back and drive that GT!

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
I completely agree with Roadpilot. Go and drive that GT. Get a feel for it. Find exactly what you want and get it. If you order it, it will be a long wait.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Order what you want, the cake takes a specific amount of time to bake, i mean you can get one off the lot but if it’s gonna be yours go ahead and let them make it for you, the way you want it, if you’re wrong well that’s on you - you got what you wanted.

OP
OP

HeyMoe!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M340i
Thank you for the replies. I am going to drive it. If I'm sold on getting one, I'd probably wait until December/January to order one. I'd hate to order now, only to have it arrive just in time for me to put it away for the winter.

My other considerations are an M2, or an Integra Type S. However, the nearest BMW and Acura dealers are 2+ hours away. I'd rather drive 40 miles for service over 135 miles, which I've been doing with the 340. Plus, I doubt either of those dealers are willing to make any kind of a deal. I'd hope for a little bit of a discount in the case of the Mustang.

Neggytive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Prem. convert. 401A 10 speed auto
If you spend the $35 to join Mustang Club of America, after 90 days you can get "X Plan" pricing, which is basically 99.4% of MSRP plus a very low doc fee.

It might be worth you joining now and then seeing what sort of a deal the Dealership is offering retail, then spring it on them you have an X Plan code from Ford, they have to show you the invoice and it will have the X Plan pricing listed, take the offer that gets you out the door cheaper.

I have a 24 GT Premium 401A 10 speed automatic car and it is quite the fun car when you drop it into Sport mode.

Figure a minimum of 3 months to get one if you order it, and it will probably be more like 5 or 6 months.

Reactions: Zig

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In most cases, you can negotiate a better deal than X-Plan pricing.

I've been an A/Z Plan buyer for decades. 14 new Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles to be exact, IIRC, and only one I wasn't able to use it on (the DH was ineligible for it).

24BlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang EcoBoost
I know I wish I would’ve done more research before buying my car because I would’ve loved to have x plan for it because I way over paid for mine. Granted I kinda bought mine a month into researching the Mustang and didn’t even come across anything related to the plan pricing. Also kinda a last minute trade in to get out of a higher payment

OP
OP

HeyMoe!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M340i
I'll give the Mustang club some serious consideration. I joined the BMW CCA when I bought my first BMW in '09. Basically, it gives you a $500 rebate. The BMW dues are higher, though their magazine is pretty good, even if they run too many EV articles. When I bought my '22 340i in the fall of 2021, I got the CCA money, and a $500 loyalty discount. That, and 0.9% financing. The car will be paid off in the next few months.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
Get a 401a, or a Performance Pack. Skip the base with 18 in wheels.

Although I am very content with my 10 speed auto, it sounds like you certainly need the 6 speed manual.

Not sure where a factory 2024 is at all "rowdy" but, they are fun.

Good luck on your journey to get one.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
When we decided to buy a new 2024 Mustang, it was by accident. Feb 2023, we were looking at vacation resorts on U tube, came across some vids on the new 2024 mustang and being previous mustang owners, we watched. Thats was a mistake.... From there we researched and decided on the GT Vert Perf., Nite Pony Pkg, 10 speed auto. I wanted the DH, but was reminded it was wifes turn for next new vehicle, so..........:crying: It all turned out good, and were very pleased with it, but we researched and ordered exactly what we wanted. Wait was not toooo long, ordered in March 2023, as soon as order banks opened and picked it up from dealer Sept. 12. Keeping in mind Ford probably didn't re-tool the lines till June or July, so the realistic wait was minimal.
Research, talk to folks on this forum and then decide. :thumbsup:

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EcoBoost (101A)
I guess the next question for you would be, besides a manual transmission, what else are you looking for in a GT?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When we decided to buy a new 2024 Mustang, it was by accident.
This describes significant chunk of my discretionary purchases ... :crackup: