• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Pressure Washer Recommendations

JoFranko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
There’s no need, I have first hand experience with the pressure washer as a detailer. 1.2GPM at 1800 psi is not going to destroy your paint.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
For car washing, the flow rate of the machine is what does the work, not necessarily pressure. Having said that, pressure is important for good quality foam production, so its a fine balancing act. The sweet spot seems to be around 1000 to 1400 psi and as close to 2.0 GPM (10 lpm) as possible.

A couple of case studies -

A basic Karcher K2 running 1800 psi and 1.6 gpm (6 lpm) from the stock gun. I used this for many years and while it delivered decent foam, the flow rate is just too lean for it to be efficient, in fact a garden hose will rinse a car faster than this will. When combined with the set up / pack up time and low flow rate, you may as well stick with a garden hose.

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations may2611

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations a3

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations DSC-0294

A Kranzle K1122 (K1152) will do 1000 to 1400 psi with 2.0 gpm (10 lpm). While that might seem low on the pressure side, its more than enough to generate great foam, but the flow rate is so much better that it eclipses what a garden hose can achieve. I've ran one of these, then a KHD-10 for 4 years now and its well worth the money.

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations jun1

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations IMG_5966

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations IMG_5971

S650 Mustang Pressure Washer Recommendations Final_Result_1

This is 2.6 gpm at work.......................

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, I could name countless others to look at, but the Active 2.0 is the one to buy. This machine was specifically designed for car washing, as such its 2.0 gpm flow rate is unbelievably good at the price point, nothing gets close in terms of flow vs cash spent. Naturally, it won't have the lifespan or serviceability of the Kranzle units, but run it until it dies, then transfer the aftermarket upgrades to a new machine.

Addressing the safety of using a pressure washer on cars, I think there is a line where it is considered safe and where its considered dicey. For me, that line is anywhere between 1000 to 1500 psi, which can easily be adjusted using different nozzle orifices. Doing that, you can make the unit flow as much as possible, balanced against a pressure within that 1000 to 1500 psi range. Put it this way, on my KHD-10 which is flowing 2.64 gpm (10 lpm) and 1400 psi, I can hold my hand in front of the nozzle with the machine running and not hurt my skin..................that's good enough for me.

And all of that is before considering what gun, nozzles and hose to pair with the machine to get the best from it.

For anyone interested, the below page provides useful information about suggested nozzle orifice sizes to get the best flow/pressure balance from a wide range of pressure washer brands and models.
The Pressure Washer Spreadsheet (shopify.com)
The Pressure Washer Project – Obsessed Garage

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
For car washing, the flow rate of the machine is what does the work, not necessarily pressure. Having said that, pressure is important for good quality foam production, so its a fine balancing act. The sweet spot seems to be around 1000 to 1400 psi and as close to 2.0 GPM (10 lpm) as possible.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, I could name countless others to look at, but the Active 2.0 is the one to buy. This machine was specifically designed for car washing, as such its 2.0 gpm flow rate is unbelievably good at the price point, nothing gets close in terms of flow vs cash spent.

Addressing the safety of using a pressure washer on cars, I think there is a line where it is considered safe and where its considered dicey.
@DFB5.0, you continue to prove that you know your chit ... :like:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s no need, I have first hand experience with the pressure washer as a detailer. 1.2GPM at 1800 psi is not going to destroy your paint.
If I couldn't do my own work on my own vehicles, I wouldn't hire you, Stormtrooper.

FarNorth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang
Well opinions are like noses, everyone has one…. So here’s mine.
I too got the Greenworks. Won’t hurt the paint, comes with foam cannon, multiple spray heads and does a good job. It’s available right from the manufacturer and is cheap. It’s electric too so you don’t have to fight with that bloody B&S engine.

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well opinions are like noses, everyone has one….
True. But some are based on sound research, knowledge, facts, and personal experience while others are based on lack of knowledge, laziness, and closed mindedness. The key is to know the difference, and you have to be willing to put in the legwork to become more knowledgeable in order to do that.
Sponsored