• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964)

OP
OP
roadpilot

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Yes, depends, and well …..

think of it as a hex editor for the computer systems in the car. Multitude of systems magnitude of code. Various options available and digits modified to obtain inferred (reverse programming to determine what does what by the provider - some crowd sourcing is also involved) values resulting in changed behavior. Not a common hand held toggle on off type of system.
While most require this, there are actually a number of modules and hundreds of settings that can be updated without edited the hex values. Pretty sure I posted a pic or two recently.

CGD was one:

S650 Mustang roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964) 20240626_195050

Of course, this is what most look like:

S650 Mustang roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964) 20240626_195246
Sponsored

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
While most require this, there are actually a number of modules and hundreds of settings that can be updated without edited the hex values. Pretty sure I posted a pic or two recently.

CGD was one:

20240626_195050.jpg

Of course, this is what most look like:

20240626_195246.jpg
And as in the example, some options don’t / won’t apply even though they are listed as available to be modified (ie rear wiper in reverse gear).

OP
OP
roadpilot

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And as in the example, some options don’t / won’t apply even though they are listed as available to be modified (ie rear wiper in reverse gear).
But I enabled that and my rear wiper appeared ...

😄

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
But I enabled that and my rear wiper appeared ...

😄
Now I’m interested- is there a tiggle for a toggle for a dh engine - that’s a hex edit my gt might enjoy 😁

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Got any pictures of the continuous gear display? Might be the best $150 I spend. Does ForScan require a purchase too? Or just a PC and the dongle?

OP
OP
roadpilot

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got any pictures of the continuous gear display? Might be the best $150 I spend. Does ForScan require a purchase too? Or just a PC and the dongle?
I can take actual pics later, but to answer your question:

1. For the standard instrument display themes (Normal and Sport for sure, but I don't recall checking Track), the CGD shows the current gear in two places: In the area I marked with green highlighter in my pic and then just to the right of the "M" at the bottom of the screen that I marked in red. Yes, it shows the one next to the "M" even when NOT in manual mode -- you'll notice the number there, but the circle that surrounds the current gear selection (it's around the "P" in the pic below) will be around the "D" when in drive and around "M" only if in manual mode. But the gear number is displayed all the time.

2. When using the Fox 87-93 or the Classic 67-68 instrument display, the CGD only shows to the right of the "M" indicator (red highlight below). I assume they don't show it in the other spot because it would be right in the middle of the tachometer if using either of these two themes.

S650 Mustang roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964) 1719931180114-i2

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I can take actual pics later, but to answer your question:

1. For the standard instrument display themes (Normal and Sport for sure, but I don't recall checking Track), the CGD shows the current gear in two places: In the area I marked with green highlighter in my pic and then just to the right of the "M" at the bottom of the screen that I marked in red. Yes, it shows the one next to the "M" even when NOT in manual mode -- you'll notice the number there, but the circle that surrounds the current gear selection (it's around the "P" in the pic below) will be around the "D" when in drive and around "M" only if in manual mode. But the gear number is displayed all the time.

2. When using the Fox 87-93 or the Classic 67-68 instrument display, the CGD only shows to the right of the "M" indicator (red highlight below). I assume they don't show it in the other spot because it would be right in the middle of the tachometer if using either of these two themes.

1719931180114-i2.png
Amen. Sign me up.

OP
OP
roadpilot

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, as long as the dongle is supported by FORScan, you don't HAVE to use the more expensive OBDLink MX+, but I personally like it supporting both WiFi and Bluetooth so I can not only program my vehiclies using a Windows PC, but I can monitor thousands of PIDs with either an Android or iPhone (phone or tablet). The cheaper adapters usually only support one of the other, or they are wired, which means you can't use them with a mobile device to monitor. But, up to you.

FORScan doesn't REQUIRE a purchase, but a small investment saves you time. In order to program with it, you have to have an extended license. You can get one for free, but you have to renew it every two months. Instead, I pay for a 1 year extended license for $12. The way I see it, my $12 per year supports the guys who make this software possible (yes, they are in Russia, but no worries, they've been doing this for many, many years and FORScan is 100% safe).

More info on licensing:

Info on Standard and Extended licenses for Windows, version 2 - FORScan forum

Download FORScan (and links to get free 2 month trial license or buy 1 year extended license)

FWIW, I spend $150 on far, far more useless things in life ... so the OBDLink MX+ is the way to go. I bought mine years ago (when it wasn't a Plus) so it didn't cost me as much, but I'd buy it today if I needed one.

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
Here’s what the continuous gear display looks like in Normal, Sport and Track gauge clusters. The Calm, Classic and Fox Body only show the gear as a small number next to the M on the gear selection display.

S650 Mustang roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964) IMG_4640

S650 Mustang roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964) IMG_4639

S650 Mustang roadPilot's 2024 Dark Horse (R4964) IMG_4638

OP
OP
roadpilot

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s what the continuous gear display looks like in Normal, Sport and Track gauge clusters.
Thanks for saving me the hassle of taking those pics, @krisk!

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for saving me the hassle of taking those pics, @krisk!
Thank you for posting that this was a simple setting change in Forscan! I already had to OBDLink EX and a lifetime Forscan license from my S550, and I’ve been wanting to get the gears to display all the time. I ran Forscan on my 2024 for the first time this morning and it took all of 2 minutes to get this change made. Love it!

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Thank you for posting that this was a simple setting change in Forscan! I already had to OBDLink EX and a lifetime Forscan license from my S550, and I’ve been wanting to get the gears to display all the time. I ran Forscan on my 2024 for the first time this morning and it took all of 2 minutes to get this change made. Love it!
Any other cool settings you switched?

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any other cool settings you switched?
That’s the only change so far. I like to let others play around with settings and make sure it doesn’t cause any problems, then follow their lead. It’s not my daily driver, but I’m too scared of tearing something up to be the guinea pig. 🤣
Sponsored