• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sync4, Carplay and Waze

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
This is my first car with an infotainment system and I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

1. I run Waze from my iPhone and it works fine on the Sync 4 system, either full screen or half screen, however, I keep losing the search bar? How do I get this back?

2. How can I customize the screen so that it doesn't keep loading the built in navigation?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
I don't have an iPhone, so I can't give you specifics on that. But I can give you a few pointers.

1. As long as Carplay is connected, you should always get the navigation on your phone (last used, whether it's Waze or Google Maps) and not the built in navigation. That's the way AA works, at least. If it's showing you the built in nav, it's not connected to Carplay/AA.

2. I have better luck with connecting the phone to Sync wirelessly than with the cable. And if I connect wirelessly THEN connect the cable, sometimes it does somehow use the cable for AA. I go into the Sync settings and turn OFF connecting to apps via the cable, and that seems to help. When I plug my phone in, it prompts me to allow the car to access what's on the phone. I always answer "DENY" so it won't, but it will still charge. Another option is to plug the phone cable NOT into the USB port on the car, but into a USB charger/adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter/socket (that way Sync can't get to it).

3. I use voice commands instead of the search bar for navigation directions. It's much easier to say, "I need directions to the post office in Brighton" than it is to hunt and peck on the touch keyboard. Plus, you can use voice commands while driving.

In case you didn't know it: The "voice" button on your steering wheel lets you talk to either the built in Ford Assistant (e.g., "set temperature to 70 degrees") or to Carplay/Android Auto (e.g., "I need directions to the closest Home Depot"). The differnece comes with how long you hold the button before releasing it. Press & immediately release and you're talking to the Ford Assistant. Press and hold (wait for the beep) and THEN release and talk, you're talking to Siri (iPhone) or Google Assistant (AA) on your phone.

OP
OP
steveo1960

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks roadpilot. So I deleted and re-paired the phone and now it seems to be working.
If Waze was the last navigation program I used, it does indeed show up on 3/4 of the screen and on the other 1/4 screen to the right I see Sirius, which is what I like. So far it seems to be sticking so time will tell. Is there any way to save a default screen configuration or does it revert to whatever configuration was there when the car is shut down ?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks roadpilot. So I deleted and re-paired the phone and now it seems to be working.
Between resetting the APIM and/or deleting and re-pairing the phone, that often helps resolve quite a few problems -- at least for a while. :shock:

If Waze was the last navigation program I used, it does indeed show up on 3/4 of the screen and on the other 1/4 screen to the right I see Sirius, which is what I like. So far it seems to be sticking so time will tell.
The screen will actually run in a number of configurations, depending upon what's attached and active. I use Android Auto, so I can only speak for AA.

I almost always run AA with Waze or Google Maps on the left side in about 3/4 of the screen and then another AA app in the right 1/4 screen. You can actually tap the smaller 1/4 screen and the two apps will swap places. If you get a text message in AA, the upper 1/3 of the 1/4 screen on the right will show THAT, too. If you tap the larger 3/4 screen and toggle it between 3/4 view and full screen. You tap the app icon (on the left side for me) and it will also toggle full screen and 3/4 screen for the app. Beyond that, you can actually run AA (or, presumably CP) in 3/4 of the left side while letting the right /14 be used NOT for another AA app, but for the Sync4 "cards". There is a set of arrows in the upper right area of the screen that toggle between AA full screen and AA 3/4 with the Sync4 cards on the right.

Maybe later I'll make a video showing all the different variations.

Is there any way to save a default screen configuration or does it revert to whatever configuration was there when the car is shut down ?
Can't say I've ever paid attention, @steve1960.

OP
OP
steveo1960

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I went on a long trip today and got to play around with Sync/iPhone/Waze and have figured out what has been driving me crazy. So when I start up the car, Apple CarPlay fires up and Waze is on 3/4 of the left side of the screen and Sirius is on the other 1/4 right side of the screen which is how it was when I turned off the car.
So far so good.

So here is the annoyance. Whenever I select something like Home, settings, even Sirius, when I return to my home screen, the Apple Car Play with Waze running is gone and the built in navigation is displayed. I can bring it back by clicking on the big box that says iPhone Car Play but that is a PITA.

Bottom line, is this normal or do I have something misconfigured?

Billycar11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac Grand Prix
So I went on a long trip today and got to play around with Sync/iPhone/Waze and have figured out what has been driving me crazy. So when I start up the car, Apple CarPlay fires up and Waze is on 3/4 of the left side of the screen and Sirius is on the other 1/4 right side of the screen which is how it was when I turned off the car.
So far so good.

So here is the annoyance. Whenever I select something like Home, settings, even Sirius, when I return to my home screen, the Apple Car Play with Waze running is gone and the built in navigation is displayed. I can bring it back by clicking on the big box that says iPhone Car Play but that is a PITA.

normal
its 2 separate systems
think of android auto /car play as just screen mirroring from your phone

OP
OP
steveo1960

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
normal
its 2 separate systems
think of android auto /car play as just screen mirroring from your phone
Thank you !
At least I'm not having a senior moment here!

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
I don't have an iPhone, so I can't give you specifics on that. But I can give you a few pointers.

1. As long as Carplay is connected, you should always get the navigation on your phone (last used, whether it's Waze or Google Maps) and not the built in navigation. That's the way AA works, at least. If it's showing you the built in nav, it's not connected to Carplay/AA.

2. I have better luck with connecting the phone to Sync wirelessly than with the cable. And if I connect wirelessly THEN connect the cable, sometimes it does somehow use the cable for AA. I go into the Sync settings and turn OFF connecting to apps via the cable, and that seems to help. When I plug my phone in, it prompts me to allow the car to access what's on the phone. I always answer "DENY" so it won't, but it will still charge. Another option is to plug the phone cable NOT into the USB port on the car, but into a USB charger/adapter plugged into the cigarette lighter/socket (that way Sync can't get to it).

3. I use voice commands instead of the search bar for navigation directions. It's much easier to say, "I need directions to the post office in Brighton" than it is to hunt and peck on the touch keyboard. Plus, you can use voice commands while driving.

In case you didn't know it: The "voice" button on your steering wheel lets you talk to either the built in Ford Assistant (e.g., "set temperature to 70 degrees") or to Carplay/Android Auto (e.g., "I need directions to the closest Home Depot"). The differnece comes with how long you hold the button before releasing it. Press & immediately release and you're talking to the Ford Assistant. Press and hold (wait for the beep) and THEN release and talk, you're talking to Siri (iPhone) or Google Assistant (AA) on your phone.
Thanks roadpilot, I wasn't aware of the difference on using the voice button.

And I see you mentioned Brighton - I live in Genoa Township, just off Grand River, 5 miles from downtown Brighton and 5 miles from downtown Howell!

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT
So far so good.

Rather than hitting the "home" button, hit the return arrow. That will take you back to your original carplay screen (at least it does on Android Auto). If you hit "home" it defaults to the onbaord stock setting because that is the "home" screen.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks roadpilot, I wasn't aware of the difference on using the voice button.
We all learn new things every day ... hopefully!

And I see you mentioned Brighton - I live in Genoa Township, just off Grand River, 5 miles from downtown Brighton and 5 miles from downtown Howell!
You must be off or near Lake Chemung then.