• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Leaking boot

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Santa Cruz, V-Strom 650
My first post with an issue. I drove 550 miles last week and bought a silver GT. It rained half way home and the car got really dirty. I washed, clay barred, and polished her the next day. It's at 550 miles.
Today pulled each wheel off to clean everything. The left rear wheel was splattered with grease. Plus it was on anywhere it could hit.
I cleaned all the grease as best I could. I do see a pin hole just by the outer clamp. Could be the exit but I don't have anyway of knowing if the grease is all gone.
Now the question, how long can I drive with an empty boot waiting for a dealer appointment? If it's all gone the CV will quickly be destroyed, right? Glad I pulled the wheel. It may start making noise. I hate going to the dealer. But no choice.
Sponsored

jimbo67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Matter, PP, NPP
I would bring it to the dealer unfortunately, I know it sucks. The half shaft is around 1000 bucks easy replace only pays 1.5 to 2 hours. Maybe don't drive it much, but they will replace the half shaft. So, if it did break it's still under warranty. I personally wouldn't drive it. Maybe have a tech or a friend you know take a quick look to see how much is leaking.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Replace with upgraded half shafts in preparation for getting that Whipple! :like:

Seriously ... get it looked at sooner rather than later. You don't want a failure to damage something else.

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, by how much was on the rim, caliper, and suspenion, I think it may be out of grease. Is the boot filled or just grease around the CV? They dont replace the just the boot? I guess maybe the half shaft comes as a sealed unit. I can see where the hole is and it look like manufacting defect. Small enough not to leak static but with centrifical force, out it comes. Really clean new grease though.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
It will (most likely) be fixed under warranty. But don't search for some anonymous people on the internet who will tell you it's OK to just drive it until it's convenient for you to take it in. Doesn't matter how much grease may or may not have been in there - you don't know.

Your car, your money. But I would not FAFO when it comes to your big investment.

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 2 dealers with in 35 m8les of my abode. I will contact both and see which one will get me in the soonest. I dont need to drive the car as I have other vehicles.

Upacurb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 2020 Explorer
My wifes Explorer seems to go through CV axles all the time....same symptom.....
60K miles on it and have all ready replaced 3 of them

Oh and the battery dies once a year.....and no one at any dealer seems to know why...same symptom guys are seeing on here with dashboard lighting up...

And I read somewhere Ford is trying to cut costs more....

Ive been a die hard Ford guy my entire life..... but for my daughters first car got her a Honda ....

Unless something changes.....wifes car will get replaced with a 4 Runner and I have no idea what I will replace my car with if I ever do....

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the imput.

Logan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT
Gr8ful
Check with local dealership if they have mobile service. One 15 minutes from my house (Chicago area) has one. My DH had a fault code issue they came out the next day fixed it. Give it try. Covered by wte no cost to you.

Karguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger 6.4 Widebody 6 speed
I have 2 dealers with in 35 m8les of my abode. I will contact both and see which one will get me in the soonest. I dont need to drive the car as I have other vehicles.
There is nothing to worry about as the Lithium grease would fling off anyways and the boot just keeps the grease inside the boot...What you have to worry about is water and dirt getting in which kills U-joints...So get a new boot or better since you have warranty a fully sealed halfshaft and you be fine !

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did get it to the dealer service and they found a hole in the boot up by the outboard clamp. Looks like a manufactor defect. They order a half shaft. I will drive a little since the shaft will be replaced awyway. I hope shaft comes in soon and the dealer doesn't mess up anything else. Im at 625 miles on the car.

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an appointment Monday morning, the part is in. Someone here said it's 1 - 1.5 hour job. If so, it's not a real involved procedure. Anyone know how to R & R of rear half shaft?

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well the dealer replaced the the left drive shaft. Got home and wanted clean all grease off. Tech over torqued the lugs
, I had to stand on a long breaker bar to loosen . I have the upgraded brakes with red calipers and of course tech chipped them caliper in two places.
When he over torqued the lugs he also crewed off some the black paint from the lugs. I hate have my vehicle at the dealer, they just don't care.

Pmamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Well the dealer replaced the the left drive shaft. Got home and wanted clean all grease off. Tech over torqued the lugs
, I had to stand on a long breaker bar to loosen . I have the upgraded brakes with red calipers and of course tech chipped them caliper in two places.
When he over torqued the lugs he also crewed off some the black paint from the lugs. I hate have my vehicle at the dealer, they just don't care.
That’s horrible. Are you going to contact Ford directly to see if they can take care of it? I see their account posting here.

OP
OP
Gr8ful

Gr8ful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. There is no point. Ford's standard response will be " dealers are independently owned and we have no control over them." The folks that are from "Ford" are just to make it sound like they care and will help. I have not heard of any time that they really help with an issue. I truly wish that was not so.
Sponsored