• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Rear View Mirror Fell Off.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
So I was adjusting my rear view mirror and next thing I know I'm holding it in my hands. No biggie, except that Ford must have used a pint of epoxy to secure this thing which is puzzling considering it fell off. So, question is how do I remove the epoxy (black and clear from what I can tell) from both the the little mirror mount clip AND the windshield which is glues to? Any ideas?
Sponsored

Jivor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mustang GT
Yikes, that is not a thing to expect. Ford: "Mirror mount glue is Job 1". I would not DIY unless it's a massive inconvenience to get to the dealership.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
3/36 warranty will cover that. Otherwise, glass repair shops replace windshields every day, including moving the rear view mirror to the new glass. Give one a call and see what they suggest.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Ford must have used a pint of epoxy
If it is the fluid I'm thinking of, it's to help maintain the correct refractive index for the front-facing electronics. The conditions are akin to putting a utensil in a glass of water and viewing it from the side: the object appears broken. The fluid in the reservoir lets the electronics see (energy waves, passing through the glass) the outside world as it really is.

Agree: return to dealer to have them repair.

OP
OP
steveo1960

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
So here are a couple of pics. I'm terrible at pics as you can tell. The black stuff is the epoxy which is also on the metal mount. The clear stuff seems like clear epoxy of some sorts and it's not evenly applied but very bumpy. I was thinking of scraping just enough of the clear stuff off to allow for clean glass for the steel mount, gluing it back on with 3M adhesive which I have used in the past and is very strong, and putting it back together?
One last question, in the pic with the 2 wires. They were both disconnected so I put them back as they were laced (shorter on nearer terminal, longer on farther terminal ) Anyone know what they are for? Grounds maybe? TIA.

Dealer can't get me in for 1.5 weeks and driving around with no mirror is more difficult than one would assume!

S650 Mustang Rear View Mirror Fell Off. mirror 3 outside

S650 Mustang Rear View Mirror Fell Off. mirror mount

S650 Mustang Rear View Mirror Fell Off. mirror1

S650 Mustang Rear View Mirror Fell Off. mirror2_wires
Sponsored