• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

OTA Updates on Import from US to EU?

GK292

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0
Hey everybody,

I imported a Mustang GT to Europe and hoped that the OTA updates will be delivered via WiFi. As I read through the forum it turned out that most of the updates are delivered through the TCU.
Has anybody ever changed the TCU to a European one to make FordPass and OTA work? Or is there another way how i could get the updates?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021F150 701a 3.5tt 4x4; 1990 Mustang 5.0 coupe
Hey everybody,

I imported a Mustang GT to Europe and hoped that the OTA updates will be delivered via WiFi. As I read through the forum it turned out that most of the updates are delivered through the TCU.
Has anybody ever changed the TCU to a European one to make FordPass and OTA work? Or is there another way how i could get the updates?

Thanks in advance!
Is the country that you're in a country where Ford vehicles can receive OTA's?

OP
OP
GK292

GK292

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0
Is the country that you're in a country where Ford vehicles can receive OTA's?
I am from Austria, the Mustang is also sold here. So I guess yes.
I assume that the problem is, that the TCU is looking for a US network…

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am from Austria, the Mustang is also sold here. So I guess yes.
I assume that the problem is, that the TCU is looking for a US network…
Yes, for sure that is the case. Just because Ford's are sold there does not mean the OTA process and Fordpass will work there. If you know for a fact that it does work, then I would need the VIN of Sync 4 vehicle in Austria so I can pull the config from the TCU. All you would need is FORScan and you can change the country code and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
GK292

GK292

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0
Yes, for sure that is the case. Just because Ford's are sold there does not mean the OTA process and Fordpass will work there. If you know for a fact that it does work, then I would need the VIN of Sync 4 vehicle in Austria so I can pull the config from the TCU. All you would need is FORScan and you can change the country code and you should be good to go.
Thanks for your help already.
I will head out to my lokal Ford dealer and have a look if they have a car with synch 4 on the lot.
Do you think that my Mustang with the US TCU will connect to the Austrian mobile phone network? Wouldn’t this require roaming on the TCUs eSIM?

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will head out to my lokal Ford dealer and have a look if they have a car with synch 4 on the lot.
Do you think that my Mustang with the US TCU will connect to the Austrian mobile phone network? Wouldn’t this require roaming on the TCUs eSIM?
Yes, but you can do that yourself with FORScan. This is the line within the TCU that dictates which country the TCU is provisioned for. This is from a US based vehicle. If you give me your VIN and I check it, this is what it will show.

S650 Mustang OTA Updates on Import from US to EU? 1719339050773-1k

All you need to know is what the country code is for your country and change this value to that and your modem should pick up the network. It is possible that after you do this, you would still need to have the modem activated. If that is the case, I can help you with that, too, but that requires a different process.

I have tried to do this for a few people in other countries, but every one flakes out at one point or another. I have no way of knowing it this will work or not, but I'm willing to try if you are. The adapter needed for FORScan is cheap and the software is free.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Yes, but you can do that yourself with FORScan. This is the line within the TCU that dictates which country the TCU is provisioned for. This is from a US based vehicle. If you give me your VIN and I check it, this is what it will show.

1719339050773-1k.png

All you need to know is what the country code is for your country and change this value to that and your modem should pick up the network. It is possible that after you do this, you would still need to have the modem activated. If that is the case, I can help you with that, too, but that requires a different process.

I have tried to do this for a few people in other countries, but every one flakes out at one point or another. I have no way of knowing it this will work or not, but I'm willing to try if you are. The adapter needed for FORScan is cheap and the software is free.
Is gsm vs cdma still a thing?

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is gsm vs cdma still a thing?
lol Been a while since I see/hear those terms. They were phased out by LTE years ago. Some carriers still had to use it for a while to be able to operate in areas that didn't have LTE yet. I think those type of networks are completely phased out now, but not entirely sure.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
lol Been a while since I see/hear those terms. They were phased out by LTE years ago. Some carriers still had to use it for a while to be able to operate in areas that didn't have LTE yet. I think those type of networks are completely phased out now, but not entirely sure.
More bands and frequencies now… out of curiosity i wonder how closely they follow the cellular network for ota - although for some reason i wanna say the preffered network for the u.s. version usually uses hardware that is more global in nature.

OP
OP
GK292

GK292

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0

1719339050773-1k.png

I sent you a PM with the information.
Thanks!

rugedraw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sent you a PM with the information.
Thanks!
The country code on that vehicle's TCU is:

S650 Mustang OTA Updates on Import from US to EU? 1719409168699-2l

So this is a good start. Order the adapter for FORScan like the one in the link below and the FORScan software can be downloaded from www.forscan.org. Once you have everything set up, let me know and I'll walk you through what you need to do.

https://www.amazon.com/JUTA-vLinker...-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

If the modem needs to be activated after you change the country code, I do not know how to do that. I have someone that can do it for you, but he would need to remote into your laptop while you are connected to FORScan so he can work his magic. We will cross that bridge if and when we get to it.

OP
OP
GK292

GK292

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0
The country code on that vehicle's TCU is:

1719409168699-2l.png

So this is a good start. Order the adapter for FORScan like the one in the link below and the FORScan software can be downloaded from www.forscan.org. Once you have everything set up, let me know and I'll walk you through what you need to do.

https://www.amazon.com/JUTA-vLinker-FS-Scanner-Diagnostic/dp/B0BB5SDNZ2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1328W09PZ3DUF&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.K_WnOFHoOMIsjIaK3cLEkyXXLJSytvHD5Cf2A3do3lyArKGCAgDszY5H5P_3TBMbY-qc5C9rxdK05J8rr5oXfv-yeyzku6lti-qj2goIl2CFhBbpjQXco0kQ05wf-59GrItExu2dPrT7ImRXjHl0tYzXYqSxl0Y-Ts__tG8ZaHdnH-wlOd4d1O543vY0LiJhb_dVmYmm_710eUo3WS3lQhU7-4Q3IkhENH0-sdxKCn4cMOMkjd0vQpJEtNc3AZ14Y0zb7coguG8Qwny6WulW9-oXlFohqr42dWqsDWWy2Yo.mQ_b-yq11yCp2mq-_64-PMwuMRDXhDmLOlT_zpqilnA&dib_tag=se&keywords=ford+vlinker&qid=1719409346&sprefix=,aps,59&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

If the modem needs to be activated after you change the country code, I do not know how to do that. I have someone that can do it for you, but he would need to remote into your laptop while you are connected to FORScan so he can work his magic. We will cross that bridge if and when we get to it.
Sounds great, thank you.
As mentioned I will be abroad for work until beginning of August. I will let you know once I am back.

A4techpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT s650
in Poland I can convert Your Sync4 and TCU too.
I have import same GT for myself and did all the stuff include FordPass and OTA.
Sponsored