• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Coyote Oil Viscosity in High Temp Climates ?

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
He's like the Democrats: Just wants to change the goal posts when the answer doesn't fit is needs.
Huh? Move what goalposts? I haven’t proffered a single opinion in this thread. My comment was about the 2 dozen posts arguing about something that neither party will ever change their mind about.
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Irrelevant. Your S650 came with a 2024 owner's manual. Follow that one, not one from a different car from a different year.

That's no longer a stock engine.

What part of this is so difficult for you to understand? This is neither rocket science nor long division.

If your car is stock, follow the owner's manual that the manufacturer provided you with when you bought it.
Two things, though. ford changed the oil spec for the 650 back to 5W30 after being 5W20 for the longest

and they spec different oils for the non-USA market. Why's that? The mighty ford engineers think oil is different in Europe or Oz?

also what's the supercharger have to do with it? It doesn't touch engine oil. It's still the same engine. Does the thicker oil they recommend offer more protection? Would you not want that on your non-supercharged engine?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Ford does extensive testing here in Arizona because of the extremes in climate. Last summer heat was record breaking. If oil weight was a problem they would have put it in the manual. Go with the manual unless your doing something other than street driving or engine mods that require it. My 2011 uses 5-30 blend since new and runs find. My 24 will use the same.
Any reason you opted to use a 5-30 blend in both of your Mustang's versus full synthetic? I know the blend is cheaper but it seems like most here recommend full synthetic at least in the GT's.

dusman59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 gt
I have used Ford oil since 1969. After synthetic blend came out I started using it. I have never had one issue with any of my Fords using it. Unless an engine is required to use full synthetic I will use what has worked for me. My wife has a Nissan Murano that says to use only full synthetic and that's what it gets.

Last edited:

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
also what's the supercharger have to do with it? It doesn't touch engine oil. It's still the same engine. Does the thicker oil they recommend offer more protection? Would you not want that on your non-supercharged engine?
Any chance it’s related to the driver side catch can recommendation when ‘boosted’?

El Stango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gen 2 coyote
Right? 💯 Seems silly to reinvent the wheel when the engineers already did it for us.

On top of that, the engine the oil goes into is on its 4th generation of the coyote that has been around since 2011... owner's manual hasn't changed in more than a decade.
Peeps, please don't complicate things.
My 2017 takes 5w20

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Full synthetic benefits over conventional oils:
  • Evaporates less quickly
  • More resistant to high temps during warmer months and to thickening as quickly in lower temps
  • Better additives
  • More resistant to breaking down
  • Extended oil change intervals
  • Less impact on the environment
Yes, it costs more, but there's a reason.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
My 2017 takes 5w20
Ford goes back and forth with that 5W-20/30 because of CAFE standards. Its a joke and they can't make up their mind. It takes both but that nonsense started in 2004 with that crap.
My 2016 takes 5W-30.

5W20 gets you supposedly "better fuel economy" because it is slightly thinner causing less friction while the 5W30 is less efficient but protects the engine better. Just stick with your manual and you will be fine. It honestly does not make a difference when it comes to that 5W20/30 but there are some out there that are willingly changing to 20W50 on a stock engine and not tracking the car... that is silly to do.

5w20 has a lower optimum operating temperature than 5w30. Basically, 5w20 will be the same viscosity, at 200°F, as 5w30 is around 220°F. The temps vary wildly based on manufacturer.

On paper, if you drive your mustang like a Prius for max fuel economy, 5w20 is just fine. However, 5w20 starts to thin out way too much when it gets hot, and this is where many are hesitant to use it. My pp1, with the bigger radiator, stays at about 200° and around 199 to 205° cylinder head temps when I'm just cruising around town. But if I'm on the expressway or get on it at all, that temp shoots up pretty quick. These engines run hot, there's no other way around it. 5w30 gives you much more wiggle room.

There were a string of posts from two ex ford engineers, over a decade back, claiming that 5w20 is purely for cafe. One said that he tore into hundreds of Ford modular engines and, based on what he saw, flat out said to not use 5w20 if you care about your engine. 5w30, in his opinion, was simply "okay" for street use. However, that was before the coyote's time, and oil formulations change annually, so it's outdated. Well, to a degree. Oil formulations evolve rapidly but the specs of the 5.0l (clearances and such) don't indicate it's anywhere near different enough from the 4.6l (which used 5w30, then 5w20, then back spec'd to 5w30) to warrant any change in oil viscosity. However, these cars (last I checked) are spec'd for 5w30 everywhere else around the world. That info alone is enough to convince many to use 5w30. There's also counter arguments to that, as well. One being that oil is more expensive in Europe so manufacturers spec based on longer drain intervals, and such.

Bottom line is that you'll give yourself a serious headache trying to decide. The general consensus seems to come down to this: if you're going to drive your Mustang for maximum fuel efficiency then run 5w20. If you're going to drive this car like one would expect someone who just bought a gas guzzling v8, then use 5w30.

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You only need higher viscosity oil if you're actually taking your oil past designed temperatures. But just because you live in a hot climate, doesn't mean that's the case. Just driving around town, oil and coolant temps are controlled in a safe manner...so whether you live in the north or the south, the end temperatures will be generally the same.

Now if you're racing the car, and taking oil temps past OEM standards then is when you need to think about possibly going to a w40 or w50 oil.

Interstellar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
It's wild all you people sit here an argue about what's best for a stock car when the REAL experts at Ford already did all this for you (With the math & science to back it up).

RTFM

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bottom line is that you'll give yourself a serious headache trying to decide. The general consensus seems to come down to this: if you're going to drive your Mustang for maximum fuel efficiency then run 5w20. If you're going to drive this car like one would expect someone who just bought a gas guzzling v8, then use 5w30.
No, the general consensus is covered in the owner's manual.

Bottom line, if someone takes your advice, doesn't follow the owner's manual, and has a catastrophic failure, are you going to cover their repair bill?

Unless one has deep pockets, following the owner's manual is the sagest advice anyone can follow.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
It's wild all you people sit here an argue about what's best for a stock car when the REAL experts at Ford already did all this for you (With the math & science to back it up).

RTFM
But...the entire forum is based on modifying EVERY OTHER PART OF THE CAR

lol

The Motorcraft oil is the holy grail

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
If you think about it, factory everything is straight.

Factory tires? Ass. Factory brakes? Ass. Factory radio? Ass. MT-82 fluid? Ass. Suspension? Ass. Exhaust? Ass!

Engine oil is different why? No engineers work on the other shit?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But...the entire forum is based on modifying EVERY OTHER PART OF THE CAR

lol

The Motorcraft oil is the holy grail
I recall nobody here saying anything about what BRAND of oil to use - only what oil WEIGHT (viscosity number).

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you think about it, factory everything is straight.

Factory tires? Ass. Factory brakes? Ass. Factory radio? Ass. MT-82 fluid? Ass. Suspension? Ass. Exhaust? Ass!

Engine oil is different why? No engineers work on the other shit?
If everything about the car is ASS, then why the hell are you here commenting?

Your opinion? Ass.
Sponsored