• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Coyote Oil Viscosity in High Temp Climates ?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
If everything about the car is ASS, then why the hell are you here commenting?

Your opinion? Ass.
You have an entire build thread where you modify the car. But you won't give any reason why the oil should not be changed other than 'because ford said'.

Why? Why is it okay to change everything else?

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
You have to watch, regardless of temps, because engines with variable valve timing can have trouble with heavier oil causing the vcts to not work correctly. I'm in Houston so I think I know a little bit about high temps. I've had numerous cases on all types of vehicle with check engine lights for misfires, rough running etc because of higher than recommended oil viscosities. Somebody comes in with problems you stick it and the oils brand new you ask them if they just had it changed and you look at their receipt and somebody put 2050 in it. You change it with the right stuff and you have no more problems. Some vehicle recommendations are zero w20 and even in our climate that's still works. Counterintuitive, and most of you are going to do what you want but that is my two cents after working here at dealerships for 30 years.
And you are correct on your statement @SSuperDave. There are many iterations and scenarios for all but in the end, they will do what they feel is best. I believe your 30 years as an Automotive Technician has weight.

And yes, it’s get HELLA HOT in H-Town!! I’m just shy about 15 miles of there but that Heat and Humidity doesn’t care at all!! Been watching those engine and transmission temps as well lately. However, my GT is a daily driver to the plant and back home to the garage.

SSuperDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Grabber Blue, 2007 Mustang
I am a fellow Friendswooder, and agree. I've been here over 30 years and would not live anywhere else in this country

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
No, the general consensus is covered in the owner's manual.

Bottom line, if someone takes your advice, doesn't follow the owner's manual, and has a catastrophic failure, are you going to cover their repair bill?

Unless one has deep pockets, following the owner's manual is the sagest advice anyone can follow.
I agree, just follow the damn manual. Oh, and change the oil regularly.

jboogie1289

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Oxford White Mustang GT w/ PP, AE & NPP Pkg
@SSuperDave, what color is your S650?? Just saw an, I’m guessing was Atlas Blue, at Pappa’s Delta Blues.

Last edited:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Let's refer to that owners manual you keep mentioning
You can't comprehend much, can you?

Nobody is saying that you have to use the Motorcraft BRAND because that's what the owner's manual says.

We're saying you have to use the OIL WEIGHT/VISCOSITY that's called out in the owner's manual.

For the love of God, get a clue. Please.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have an entire build thread where you modify the car. But you won't give any reason why the oil should not be changed other than 'because ford said'.

Why? Why is it okay to change everything else?
Changing your shocks isn't going to destroy your engine
Changing your tires isn't going to destroy your engine.
Changing your brake pads isn't going to destroy your engine.

USING THE WRONG WEIGHT/VISCOCITY ENGINE OIL CAN DESTROY YOUR ENGNIE.

My only question to you is: Is yours a learned behavior or a genetic trait?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a fellow Friendswooder, and agree. I've been here over 30 years and would not live anywhere else in this country
I lived in the Houston area for a collective 8 or so years back in the 70's and 80's: Cypress-Fairbanks, Alief, and Sugarland areas mostly. The way things have changed since then, you couldn't pay me enough to move back. Super glad you're loving it there!

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
You can't comprehend much, can you?

Nobody is saying that you have to use the Motorcraft BRAND because that's what the owner's manual says.

We're saying you have to use the OIL WEIGHT/VISCOSITY that's called out in the owner's manual.

For the love of God, get a clue. Please.
So all oils are created equal. Got it.

btw how long will it take, say, 5-40 to "DESTROY AN ENGINE"?

asking for a friend

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So all oils are created equal. Got it.

btw how long will it take, say, 5-40 to "DESTROY AN ENGINE"?

asking for a friend
Nope. NEVER said that, either.

Genetic trait or learned behavior? Still would like to know ...

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Nope. NEVER said that, either.

Genetic trait or learned behavior? Still would like to know ...
So which weight oil did you mean when you just said

USING THE WRONG WEIGHT/VISCOCITY ENGINE OIL CAN DESTROY YOUR ENGNIE.

You need to be more specific when you say we should be using what's in the manual.

steveo1960

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT Premium 401a, Auto, AE, Atlas Blue
the 99-04 4.6 was a different animal all together and Ford DID go to 5W-20 for cafe standards. the same engine, as far as we know, was previously spec out for 5W-30 which millions of taxis, police cars and so forth ran on for years. Many owners continued the 5W-30 oil even though officially 5W-20 was the speca and had no issues. Personally I just gave my 03 GT to my son with 230k + miles, all full synthetic 5W-30 and it is fine and does not burn oil at all. Now, newer, much more sophisticated engines are way different than my 03 V8 and I would recommend following Ford's specs to the letter if preserving the warranty is the plan.... Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored