• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

krisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mustang GT, PP - Race Red
Insurance is legalized gambling, sometimes required bylaw. But that’s just me.
Agreed. Insurance, gambling, investing, prospecting, hedging and speculating are all essentially the same thing, just with different levels of risk, expected return, and government regulation.
Sponsored

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Is keeping fire extinguisher in your house considered gambling, too? After all, the changes of a house fire are FAR less likely than being involved in an automobile accident.

I've paid for homeowners' insurance premiums for decades. Never made a single claim. I also paid for insurance on my boats over the past ~25 years. Never made a claim.

Last fall, we got hit with a monster hailstorm that destroyed $45K worth of roofs, then two months later, a nearby tornado caused 100MPH straight line winds across our lake that capsized our boat and destroyed our aluminum rolling docks.

Insurance company paid out over $115,000 in just two weeks.

It's not gambling. It's being prepared.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Insurance that is required by law covers potential losses of OTHERS, not your losses.

You're not required by law to carry full coverage insurance that fixes or replaces your car. You are required to carry liability insurance that covers others in the event that you are at fault.

The government doesn't mandate insurance that ensures you can be made whole again. There's a huge difference between the two.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt pp, Xt5 Sprt, c6 f55, 1500 z71, fatboy, sprtstr
Is keeping fire extinguisher in your house considered gambling, too? After all, the changes of a house fire are FAR less likely than being involved in an automobile accident.

I've paid for homeowners' insurance premiums for decades. Never made a single claim. I also paid for insurance on my boats over the past ~25 years. Never made a claim.

Last fall, we got hit with a monster hailstorm that destroyed $45K worth of roofs, then two months later, a nearby tornado caused 100MPH straight line winds across our lake that capsized our boat and destroyed our aluminum rolling docks.

Insurance company paid out over $115,000 in just two weeks.

It's not gambling. It's being prepared.
Only when there is a payout

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only when there is a payout
No shit, Sherlock. :cwl:

Same can be said about having a fire extinguisher by saying, "Only if there is a fire."

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re prepared are you gambling?
No.

Is saving for retirement instead of blowing all your money considered "gambling"?

Is packing a first aid kit to take along on your hiking trip considered "gambling"?

Is having an umbrella, a rain coat, or a blanket in your car in case it rains, you break down or get stuck somewhere or in case it rains considered "gambling"?

For the record, the root word of gambling is 'game'. I don't considered the chose to safeguard my wealth or belongings a 'game'.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, saving for retirement is not a game. Note that I did not say INVEST in something that may or may not build your wealth. I said SAVE.

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, saving for retirement is not a game. Note that I did not say INVEST in something that may or may not build your wealth. I said SAVE.
Didn’t say it was however one would be ‘gambling/playing the odds’ they’re gonna be around ….

Zig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No.

Is saving for retirement instead of blowing all your money considered "gambling"?

Is packing a first aid kit to take along on your hiking trip considered "gambling"?

Is having an umbrella, a rain coat, or a blanket in your car in case it rains, you break down or get stuck somewhere or in case it rains considered "gambling"?

For the record, the root word of gambling is 'game'. I don't considered the chose to safeguard my wealth or belongings a 'game'.
Umbrella?