• Welcome to Mustang7G!

If you're joining us from Mustang6G, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on Mustang6G as of March 10, 2021 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Coyote Oil Viscosity in High Temp Climates ?

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 4x4 Limited. 2024 GT Mustang Premium
Lol we do, we also see cars smoking on the side of the road smoking or on fire due to the heat. So yeah the summer time is not the time to see if a company with lots of recalls is being honest about oil temps in extreme heat. Especially for those who drive long distances in stop and go traffic. Hopefully all the northern lights haven't caused vision issues lol.

Just saying a manufacturer like ford is not going to spend money on the best oil for their cars for mass production. They will go with something in the middle at best. Even Ford Performance doesn't use the recommended oil manufacturer. And they said the cars run better Temp wise after the switch. So im also talking about the manufacturer brand of the oil too.
Very interesting,
Who & What is the BEST OIL?
What Brand of Oil is the BEST?
What Blend is the Best?
Could be very subjective.
Sponsored

IFFV68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150 4x4 Limited. 2024 GT Mustang Premium
Ford's oil viscosity recommendations are all over the map, even for the same engine with the same parts.

The 2.3L in the Focus RS here in the US uses 5W-50 synthetic but in Europe, there's a specific Ford 0W-40 synthetic oil spec. And obviously the regular 2.3's use 5W-30. EcoBoost actually first came out spec'd for 5W-20 in the 3.5L EcoBoost in the Lincoln MKZ in 2009 and the SHO in 2010. When the F-150's debuted with the 3.5 EcoBoost, the oil spec was changed to 5W-30.

Most of the differences were largely in the formulation and additives at least back then. With Calcium being attributed to the cause of LSPI in direct injected engines, the newer oil standards like API SP and ILSAC GF-6A/B call for reduced Calcium levels etc... which is covered by Dexos 1 Gen III as well.
My 2012 FX4 4x4 was the first 3.5 Ecoboost I ever purchased.
The recommended oil was 5-30.
In the Denver area the 5-30 was almost impossible to find.
Phil Long Ford of Denver was the only dealer to have it.
The dealers were all pushing the New Ecoboost.
Unfortunately the Dealers never had the 5-30 Oil until later in the year.
I always use Ford Oil & never had any issues.
I never have Races but have done some Serious 4-Wheeling in the Colorado High Country.
Never have to worry about Heat .
The Eco’s are a lot stronger and reliable than back in 2012.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Dark Horse, 21 F150 Platinum, 16 ATS4, 14 LTZ
Have you seen the test results and data from all the oils they've ran in those engines? Do you know why they chose the oil they went with?

did all the engineers unanimously agree?

and I ask again, it's okay to change other parts of the car but not the oil?
I have an oil analysis done on a sample from every oil change on my trucks, and will do the same with the Mustang.

Do you know WHY your grandma puts her specific ingredients into HER recipes? No, but you sure as hell know (a) her cooking tastes great and (b) she knows far more about HER recipes than you do.

Bottom line, I don't need to know WHY they chose a specific oil viscosity for a specific engine - I just need to know which to use to ensure I have fewer issues AND my factory warranty stays intact. Again, if you want to pour latex paint into your crankcase because "you know better than the engineers who designed the engine", go ahead and knock yourself out. Your money.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting,
What Blend is the Best?
Subjective: Which brand of oil is the "best" oil to use?

Objective: What is the proper viscosity oil to use in your engine under the conditions you expect to operate?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
I have an oil analysis done on a sample from every oil change on my trucks, and will do the same with the Mustang.

Do you know WHY your grandma puts her specific ingredients into HER recipes? No, but you sure as hell know (a) her cooking tastes great and (b) she knows far more about HER recipes than you do.

Bottom line, I don't need to know WHY they chose a specific oil viscosity for a specific engine - I just need to know which to use to ensure I have fewer issues AND my factory warranty stays intact. Again, if you want to pour latex paint into your crankcase because "you know better than the engineers who designed the engine", go ahead and knock yourself out. Your money.
all the grandmas use the same recipes?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Subjective: Which brand of oil is the "best" oil to use?

Objective: What is the proper viscosity oil to use in your engine under the conditions you expect to operate?
what does "proper" even mean?

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Also, doesn't it count for anything when those same Ford engineers recommend a different viscosity oil when running the car hard?

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
all the grandmas use the same recipes?
No, but YOUR grandma uses HER recipes, just like Ford designs there OWN engines. :like:

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what does "proper" even mean?
prop·er
[ˈpräpər]
adjective
- of the required type; suitable or appropriate.

For some, no explanation is necessary.
For others, no explanation is possible.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, doesn't it count for anything when those same Ford engineers recommend a different viscosity oil when running the car hard?
I reviewed my owner's manual. I see different viscosity recommended based on anticipated external temperatures during operation, as well as a revised schedule as to when to change your oil based on severe duty, but no recommended change in viscosity due to "running your car hard".

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang
Varies over the years. Track pack etc cars with the exact same engine as the regular GT

something similar is in the ford racing supercharger instructions

I reviewed my owner's manual. I see different viscosity recommended based on anticipated external temperatures during operation, as well as a revised schedule as to when to change your oil based on severe duty, but no recommended change in viscosity due to "running your car hard".
S650 Mustang Coyote Oil Viscosity in High Temp Climates ? IMG_1494

cosmo73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2024 GT
The horse is dead. We‘re all big boys and girls, run what you want.

RLE55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4, 2024 Mustang GT Vert PP NP
Very interesting,
What Blend is the Best?
I heard cat oil is pretty good....at least Denzel thinks so.....

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Varies over the years. Track pack etc cars with the exact same engine as the regular GT
Irrelevant. Your S650 came with a 2024 owner's manual. Follow that one, not one from a different car from a different year.

something similar is in the ford racing supercharger instructions
That's no longer a stock engine.

What part of this is so difficult for you to understand? This is neither rocket science nor long division.

If your car is stock, follow the owner's manual that the manufacturer provided you with when you bought it.

roadpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The horse is dead. We‘re all big boys and girls, run what you want.
He's like the Democrats: Just wants to change the goal posts when the answer doesn't fit is needs.
Sponsored